Do you want to learn more about guitar than open chords? The next step is to start learning some melodies. There are many different ways to learn melodies. I am going to give you two ways to learn melodies quickly.
- Pick a song that you know well. The better you know the song, the easier you will learn a melody. The better you know the song, the longer you will remember it. This Is the most basic foundation to learn any song. Tomorrows post will be about learning a new song better.
- Go on YouTube and look up a lesson for the song you are learning. You can look up “How to play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star on guitar”. There is pretty much a lesson for every song you will ever want to play in your entire career. This is an easy way to learn, because you can visually see someone’s hand and they tell you what they are playing.
- Memorize the melody. This is the most important part of learning guitar. Everything you work on should make its way to your memory.
- Practice it over and over. The more you practice it, the better you get at playing it. The more you repeat it, the better you will remember it years from now.
Here is the second approach to learning a melody. This approach is a little bit harder to learn at first, but will make learning faster in the future. This approach will also make it easier to reference a melody you once knew, but forgot.
- Pick a song that you know well. This is for the same reason mentioned above.
- Print off guitar tab for the song you want to learn. This is for two reasons. First: It is there for you to easily access while you are learning it. Second: Store it in a 3 ring binder with a paper protector so that you can keep it for years. You can see your progress and it will be a easy reference if you forget it.
- Memorize the melody. This is for the same reason mentioned above.
- Practice it over and over. This is for the same reason mentioned above.
As you see, the two approaches are very similar. These are both easy to do, and it will be fun. Enjoy!